Licensure & Immigration

For Faculty

For immigration and licensure information, please select from the following links or contact the Office of Administrative Affairs at (904) 244-8528.

Medical Licensure Information:

Immigration and Visas:

The Office of Administrative Affairs is the liaison with the College of Medicine and the University of Florida Immigration and Compliance Services (ICS). All visa applications for foreign faculty, and research scholars are routed through this office for review and approval.

Legal Representation / Attorney Involvement:

University policy does not permit private attorneys to submit immigration related petitions or applications on its behalf, although we do work with attorneys on individual cases. University employees are not authorized to sign the Notice of Appearance as Attorney or Representative (Form G-28), which grants authority to an attorney to act on all aspects of immigration on behalf of the University and, are therefore prohibited from granting such permission. All applications and petitions associated with University sponsored non-immigrant immigration statuses must be submitted by Immigration Compliance Services in the Office of Human Resource Services.

DEA Registration

Incoming physicians must apply for a DEA number if they do not already have one. Applications are available on the DEA website.

The application may be submitted while awaiting the Florida license or Medical Faculty Certificate. Since managed care organizations require the DEA, credentialing approval will not be granted without a current valid (i.e. current practice address) DEA.

Federal Regulations governing DEA registration provide an exemption form registration fees ($390) for any individual practitioner who is required to obtain an individual registration to carry out his or her duties as an official of any state agency. The practitioners at the University of Florida qualify for this exemption.

When renewing your DEA registration using Form 224A, online question # 7 asks for Certification for Fee Exemption. The form also asks for the name of the "Certifying Officer". This would be the Associate Dean for Administrative Affairs.

Please note, that this is an exemption from paying registration fees. You are still required to register and to comply with any other requirements or duties prescribed by law.

Incoming physicians who already have a DEA number will need to have it transferred to Florida. To do this, a physician must request it in writing (with his original signature). It must contain his existing DEA number, his previous and new address. The physician must also attach a copy of his DEA registration certificate and a copy of his new Florida license or MFC. This request (see sample letter .pdf (Adobe PDF Document)) needs to be sent to:

Attention: Registration
Miami Field Division
2100 North Commerce Parkway
Weston, FL 33326

Research Faculty:

Under current policy, the University of Florida requires that all individuals working with DEA controlled substances be registered with the DEA and complies with state and federal regulations regarding the acquisition, storage, use and disposal of those substances. The Division of Environmental Health and Safety at the University of Florida is responsible for assisting principal investigators in complying with any applicable rules and regulations. Additional information can be found on the EHS website and the DEA Homepage. Questions regarding DEA applications or change of address process can be directed to (800) 667-9752.