Office of Educational Affairs -
Faculty Development Series
Topic: The Color of Normal: Racism is a System, Not an Event
Wednesday, February 16, 2022
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Keya Locke, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology
Medical Director, Operating Room at UF Health North
Community Physicians, Faculty, Residents/Fellows
Upon completion of the presentation, participants will be able to:
1. Promote anti-racial allyship
2. Define aversive racism, Structural racism, and performative allyship
3. Acknowledge the history of racism in medicine and its continued effects on marginalized groups
The University of Florida College of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Florida College of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the Activity.
Please register with your name and email using the Zoom link provided to receive the Zoom invitation.
CME Advisory Committee Disclosure
Conflict of interest information for the CME Advisory Committee members can be found on the following website: https://cme.ufl.edu/disclosure/.
Bibliography for further study:
1. Washington HA, Baker RB, Olakanmi O, et al. Segregation, civil rights, and health disparities: the legacy of African American physicians and organized medicine, 1910-1968. J Natl Med Assoc. 2009;101(6):513-527.
2. Baker, Robert. The American Medical Association and Race, 2014-06. AMA Journal of ethics. 2014-06.
3. The doctors: The question of color. New York Times. May 7, 1870: 3
Requirements for successful completion: Certificates are awarded upon successful completion (80% proficiency) of the post-test.
Release Date: February 16, 2022
Expiration Date: February 16, 2024
Keya Locke, M.D. has disclosed that he/she has no relevant financial disclosures. No one else in a position to control content has any financial relationships to disclose.
For additional information, contact Renee Boyle (904) 244-8271 Renee.Boyle@jax.ufl.edu.